Pages

Natural Beauty Belly Dance, a center for artistic belly dance in both traditional and innovative spheres, empowers and inspires dancers to train precisely, avoid injury, work creatively, and take ownership of their craft. Fostering “natural beauty,” the attractive and charismatic quality of confident authentic self-expression, classes equally promote creative vision, technical excellence, and personal style.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Joyful Practice

This inspirational post gives excellent advice on overcoming discouraging inner thoughts. While written from the perspective of a musician, the author's ideas can easily be applied to dance.
Over the years there has been something within myself that has been detrimental and negative to my playing music- the persistent feeling that I am not playing as well as others, and even worse that I’m not playing as well as I think I should be playing. These thoughts never fail to make me feel unhappy and inadequate. So why do I keep allowing myself to think this way if it only makes me unhappy?
The answer is that such thoughts become a habit. Habits, even negative habits, are within our comfort zone. It is comfortable to fall into habitual thinking because new thinking means going out on a limb and being uncertain and vulnerable.
Full post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment